Green Cleaning by the Numbers
- 5 billion: The number of pounds of chemicals that the institutional cleaning industry uses each year.
- 17,000:The number of petrochemicals available for home use, only 30 percent of which have been tested for exposure to human health and the environment.
- 275: the number of active ingredients in antimicrobials that the EPA classifies as pesticides because they are designed to kill microbes.
- 100: the number of times higher that indoor air pollution levels can be above outdoor air pollution levels, according to US EPA estimates.
- 63: The number of synthetic chemical products found in the average American home, translating to roughly 10 gallons of harmful chemicals.
- 23: the average gallons of chemicals (that’s 87 liters) that a janitor uses each year, 25 percent of which are hazardous.